Social Worker – GAZA STRIP
SOS Children’s Villages takes action for children as an independent non-governmental social development organization. We build families for children in need, we help them shape the development of their communities, we respect varying religions and cultures, and we work in countries and communities where our mission can contribute to development.
SOS Children’s Villages Palestine and UNICEF are doing a joint project targeting the Unaccompanied and Separated Children (UASC) where SOS Palestine will accommodate 55 children between the age 0-10 years old. SOS Palestine will provide the children with the basic needs in terms of accommodation, food, health and hygiene, and clothing to facilitate their emotional, mental and physical recovery, in addition to case management, MHPSS services, age appropriate educational and recreational activities. This project will be for 1 year starting from December 2023.
Child Safeguarding Commitment:
SOS Children’s Villages works with children’s and youth. Any applicant he/she should act in a way that safeguards children and youth from all forms of discrimination, abuse, mistreatment and neglect, and will keep data about the children and youth in SOS Children’s Villages programmes confidential. He/she will report all concerns regarding actual or potential child abuse, mistreatment or any other violation of the Child Protection Policy according to our reporting and responding system. For sure, He/she would be protected and supported by the organization.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
SOS Children’s Villages Palestine is searching for:
Position Title: Social Worker
Location: SOS Children’s Village Programme in Rafah
Status: Full Time Limited Contract.
Contract Type: Limited Contract for 6 Months and might be extended, subject to SOS Palestine priorities and fund availability.
|Mission of the position:
|The goal of this position is ensuring quality care for children within SOS CVs. This includes specifically proper child admission, quality implementation of the family-based child care and re-integration within the biological families when in the best interest of the child. The role of the social worker is essential in securing support for children and their SOS Mothers. The social worker reports directly to the Family Like Care (FLC) Coordinator and works in close coordination with the multidisciplinary team in the village.
The Social Worker is required to have a deep knowledge of all relevant manuals, policies, guidelines and other relevant documents of the global SOS Children’s Villages organization; it is incumbent upon him/her to regularly familiarize themselves with all such documents and fully abide by them.
|Key performance areas and main responsibilities:
Implement Case management approach for children Under his/her direct responsibility
· Ensure proper child admission process as per the best interest of the child
· Undertake the social investigation about each individual child case and ensure that all related information is collected properly through reliable sources
· Screen admission cases as per the National Admission Criteria
· Present the new admission cases to the program Admission Committee and assume responsibility for any incorrect information
· Ensure proper integration for the new child within the village\ HG shelter
· Follow-up issuing official papers for the admitted child
Support and guide SOS Mothers caregivers
· Facilitate the training of the new caregivers as per their National Training Programme
· Provide support and guidance to SOS Mothers and caregivers
· Coordinate the on-going training of SOS Mothers and caregivers based on a regular needs-assessment
· Ensure proper documentation and updating of SOS Mothers and caregivers’ files including performance appraisals
Oversee proper processing of the child development plan Facilitate and lead the planning for individual child development plan at least once per year, progress review at least twice per year, and family review once per month.
· Provide support to SOS Mothers \caregiver to participate actively in the child development plan
· Guide and support the children and engage them progressively in their child development plans
· Support the implementation of psycho-education activities within the target group.
· Provide psychological support to our target group according to SOS Children’s Villages International principles and policies.
· Ensure Proper quality of data entry and documentation
Ensure proper follow up and support the tracing and reunification of the UASC with the biological families
· Undertake (when appropriate) field visits to the biological families, CBOs or other institutions as preparation steps toward reunification of the child.
· Ensure presence during the visits of relatives, institutions in the village
· Develop a rehabilitation plan for biological families with possibilities for reintegration
· Update the information concerning any changes in the status of the biological families.
Understand the SOS Children’s Village Organisation
· Become familiar with the background, Philosophies, and clear with the Principles, Policies, and structures of the SOS Organization;
· Understand the roles of the different SOS Staff/team members
· Attends management meetings as a part of the Village management team, and assists with general managerial duties as required.
· Carries out all duties in an exemplary manner and provides a good role model for the children.
· Protects the children in our care from all forms of physical or mental violence, injury or abuse, neglect or negligent treatment, maltreatment or exploitation, including sexual abuse.
· Handles all SOS property appropriately, including the financial resources of the organization.
· Performs any other reasonable duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor
Child Safeguarding (CS)
Qualifications and Competencies for the position:
- Bachelor’s degree in social work ,Counselling/Sociology/Mental Health.
- At least 3-5 years’ experience working directly with vulnerable children and caregivers
- Experience in conducting training session, meetings and capacity building
- Experience in working and dealing with traumatised children.
- Work experience in a case management approach .
- Ability to combine field and office work;
Competencies – Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Good knowledge of social welfare policies, services, laws at national level and set up of national child protection and social system
- Good knowledge of child development, family functioning, human behaviour and social environment
- Knowledge on social work ethics, theories and methods in work with children and families
- Knowledge on child protection and children rights
- Knowledge on social issues facing children and families, such as health (including HIV/AIDS), poverty, lack of access to education, child abuse and neglect, gender violence, discrimination, substance abuse etc.
- Knowledge on how traditions, culture, beliefs and customs influence human functioning and development at all levels
- Understanding of cultural diversity, characteristics of special target groups, implications for assessment and intervention
- Understanding of services, including crisis intervention, parenting skills training, family counselling, conflict resolution and individual and group counselling
- Good time management, organisational and administrative skills
- Team work and flexible.
Preferred Additional Criteria
- Experience in the development or delivery of economic support services for women and families
|Interested candidates must send their Cover Letter including related job achievements, CV, and three traceable references, to:
firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday 19/12/2023
Indicating in the subject line: Social Worker
Selection and recruitment of posts is subject to SOS Palestine priorities and Fund availability.
These posts are open for internal and external candidates.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Applications after deadline will be excluded.
Applications not conforming to the conditions will not be considered.